Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 2 Scene 3: “To 'Where the Old Bones Lie'” (Game Thread)

Library of closed threads.

Moderator: TristenC

Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 2 Scene 3: “To 'Where the Old Bones Lie'” (Game Thre

Post by Jenara »

"Ravens? They are big and they are black. I heard of a Tower somewhere that kept them." Mira shrugs, about to suggest that Not running towards them was good idea.. right before Jerry does exactly that!

"Ok, I give up." She shrugs again, hefts the crossbow in her hands and walks slowly onwards, attempting to look unconcerned.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

Pytor silently falls back in line as the group moves forward. He keeps one hand on his hammer and an eye upon the eaters of the dead that roosted before them. The stories of his people mentioned ravens often within them. But had he ever heard of any so large or behaving in such fashion?

Animal Lore 15 [1d20] = 4
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Pytor and Cross consider their knowledge of avians and get the sense that this is probably a much larger version of a common raven, much like the Giant Owls and things of that nature.

Jerry has to call out quite loudly for her words to reach the creature (as it is perched on a post high up the canyon wall and still some distance ahead of the group) even after closing the intervening space somewhat.

Two more massive ravens light on posts on opposite sides of the canyon somewhat behind the party. None of the giant birds responds in any other way except to simply watch…

We… should keep moving, I think. Whatever was playing those drums is likely preparing to do something else now…
Having moved forward to draw nearer to the first giant raven, the group can see that the stake and skull marked canyon path opens up to surround a large, dark oak tree. The eyes of the ravens seem much darker and more sinister than before. The haunting cries of their airborn fellows still circling high above echo through the canyon like the spiteful laughter of a ghost.

====
Canyon map up. One square is about 10 feet now. The canyon walls are 40 to 60 feet high in spots. The blue dot is the party’s location. The black dots are where the three giant ravens landed nearby. There are still at least 4 other ravens circling hundreds of feet above
Attachments
Canyon 0.jpg
Canyon 0.jpg (280.81 KiB) Viewed 11150 times
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Eyes darting around, clearly no fear but gears clearly turning on his mind.

"That tree should make for some cover if trouble starts."
=======
Pyros' survival skills come into play with some terrain ideas?
==========
Cross stays quiet going over his spells in his head to keep himself calm, while being sized up for a meal.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Shrugging at the ravens' lack of response, Jerry turns her attention to the ravine, looking for either caves or sites likely to allow a rockfall, triggered or otherwise. She comments on the same, "Anyone see any caves? Or places where someone could push a rock fall onto us?"

When Pyros calls out about the tree, the cleric appraises it. Is it a type of tree that she recognises? {??Herbalism (17) ??}

======
Alertness (15) or Observation (19) might be helpful for examining the terrain walls for hazards or places of refuge.
Last edited by Chris1234 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

I expect they are too busy waiting for whoever lives here to kill us.. Mira ponders to herself as she scans the walls path ahead, the crossbow ready to fire if anything gets too close.

"I don't like this." The Bard finally speaks out loud as she keeps on going.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

"Nor do I. We should keep to the walls of the canyon. We'll stand out less than out in the center... And it would limit the direction of attack from above." Pytor's eyes frequently dart to both sides of the canyon as they move forward.
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Pyros surveys the terrain, there were some rivulets and rides near the canyon walls a small creature could use for cover against airborne attackers, but little else.

Jerry looks around, most of the hard baked clay making up the walls seems unlikely to crumble down without substatial force.
The tree appears to be a common oak tree, and the only living thing in sight aside from the party and the ravens..

As the party continues forward, Pytor drifts a little closer to the cliffs in anticipation of arial threats.

Continuing on they can see the canyon branches off to the southeast, and possibly continues eastward beyond the large tree.

The crows behind the party take flight and glide to follow, alighting once again high on the canyon walls.
Attachments
Canyon 0-1.jpg
Canyon 0-1.jpg (174.75 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"I will keep my eyes on the one back here." Pyros whispers in a calm even tone. Motioning to the one directly left of the party on the map.
======================
"Fenrir and I will keep watch on the other behind us."

"Helps us keep watch on these unnatural cousins of yours friend."
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Do we know which way we should go?" asks Jerry quietly. "Or are we wandering randomly? And, a bizarre thought, but could it be the crown of a hill we need?"

She moves to Merrick's right-hand side (so that if she has to sling stones he isn't smacked round the head with her whirling sling).
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

"Normally, I would suggest getting a higher vantage point. But those winged beasts could easily dislodge a climber from the cliffside." Pytor looks for signs of travel. Not just recently, but also indications of one path being used more frequently over time. "Does that tree look high enough to get a look over the top of the gorge, Pyros?"
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I doubt you'd be able to get high enough even if it is." Mira suggests as she scans each direction, "Art, what way does the map suggest?" She asks leaning in close to the Ranger for a moment. "Does anyone else have an idea that those things are watching us? This whole damn land feels like its watching us."

Keeping the Cross bow leveled she waits for Artanis to respond while subtly holding Pyros back slightly.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Pyros squirms a bit loving the suggestion of climbing the tree, but he continues to watch his called target.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[if someone got to the -very- top of the tree, they could probably see over the the canyon walls]
[The crown was something they needed to acquire and return with, so it is not a geological feature.]

The map only leads to the mouth of this canyon, we have to find the crown ourselves.

Fenrir responds to Cross, They are watching... probably to see if we will become food...
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Well let's hope that doesn't happen'" Then Cross realizes he said that out loud.
Blushing a bit.
"Er, Fenrir thinks they are just waiting to see if we become food, hopefully they are just scavengers, not raptors."
============================================

"He can think?! So much for a bird brain!" Despite the circumstances, Pyros makes himself laugh, but never takes his eye off his chosen target.