Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 2 Scene 5: "Cavern of the Crown of Souls" (Game Thread)

A 2E game set in the mysterious realm of Ravenloft.

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Act 2 Scene 5: "Cavern of the Crown of Souls" (Game Thread)

Post by TristenC »

Over the course of the next many hours, the group takes turns resting and keeping watch. Jerry putters around providing aid to the injured with her mundane herb and healing skills. Eventaully each has their turn at rest, unsettling as it may be in this odd place...

The gritty stone of the cavern floor pressed hard and cold against the skin of your face. At some point sleep must have come. Nearby, the figures of the rest of the party remain in quiet slumber. The eerily glowing mist of the chasm billows like a massive witch's cauldron; bubbling up to the edge and beginning to spill over onto the ground.

With a tremendous rumbling sound, a massive ball of pure gold emerges from the center of the chasm, supported by a flat triangular stand. The stand rises and rises, curling into a pair of hooks as it flares out. More golden balls break the surface of the mist, rising from their own similar stands. A great, blood red gem appears in the stand of the first and largest, then two more as it soon becomes clear they are all connected in a ring... The Crown!!

As the crown rises from the foggy chasm, it does so atop the bony pate of a truly gargantuan skeleton! Stones begin to shear and tumble from the canyon walls, crashing to the ledge below and sealing off the only escape from the chamber. Unlike the evil preistess' temple, the creature moves as it turns its baleful gaze upon the group. Despite the tremulous activity of the earth, the others remain asleep, stirring fitfully. The monstrosity rises until the top of the hip bones emerge, though no platform nor staircase stand within.

One bony arm, like the ivory columns of some dread temple, wields a scimitar of pure bone poised to strike. The blade descends with blinding quickness, intent on dealing a single, lethal blow of titanic proportions...

Each wakes with a start in turn as the memories of the dream begin to fade, though the dread remains...

===========
Each person who slept (or tranced) had the same nightmare

It is now near dark on Saturday, March 8th, 736 BC (Barovian Calendar)

Casters pick your spells for the day please (if not already posted elsewhere)
Jerry has depleted her herb stock with so many being tended to, and will need to replenish at some point.

Adran: Full Health
Adrestia: Full health
Artanis: Hurt
Cross: Barely Scratched
Elsa: Hurt Badly
Jerry: Hurt [12/18 hps]
Karl:Hurt [21/35 hps]
Merrick: Full health
Mira: Full health
Pyros: Hurt [10/17 hps]
Pytor: Hurt Badly
thawizkid
Peddler
Peddler

Re: Act 2 Scene 5: "Cavern of the Crown of Souls" (Game Thre

Post by thawizkid »

When Adran comes to, he says to nobody in particular I think I had one of the worst dreams that I have ever had - even worse that waking up in this plane of existence...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I don't want to wake up, want to lay here with you... Please stay Sabrine..." Mira mumbles in her sleep before she rises with a start, her hand reaching for her sword hilt as she stares around for a moment. "The dreams here are awful, I never had perfect ones before but now..." Saying nothing of the words she spoke as she slept she begins to prepare herself, "We are in no fit state to fight.." She kneels by the Cleric, squeezing her shoulder. "How do you feel?" She asks softly.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

A crown? Why was he searching for a Crown? These people, were his only connection to home? The Bard most of all.. She knew his home, yet.

"Good Morning? I am starting to believe the Dreams here are constant?" Giving them a welcoming smile, his shoulders ached, the wounds to his back and arms stung, yet he didn't complain. The Pretty Hafling and the Kender were far more injured than he. "While I will go on, I agree with Lady Mira. What can we do?" He asks.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Elsa hugs Pyros tightly, the Mira. Feel like i had my bell rung pretty good, but i'm ok. I can deal with some of these other injuries once I've made my prayers.

Rising, she moves to where Sir Karl is. Blushing slightly, she curtsies. I feel that I must both thank you for helping me, and apologize for my rudeness yesterday sir Knight. she colors a little more. I, um... My only excuse is that I am quite unaccustomed to being... carried. Before giving him a chance to reply, she gives him a quick peck on the cheek. After their conversation she goes to make her prayers.

Artanis hides a grin and chuckle behind his hand as he fiddles with his red beard. Turning to Adran, he speaks, Yes, I believe most if not all of us have experienced them every night... Disturbingly, they always seem to carry some element of Truth to them...

Adrestia and Pytor sit apart, discussing something quietly. Merrick stares blankly into the foggy chasm
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"You are ok, thats what matters." Mira responds and sets about practicing her spells.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"I will remember that next time, you should not be armoured." He blushes, more from the kiss but also realising how that could sound. "I meant no offense, you are a formidable Lady, I am. Shall we say somewhat unfamiliar with your race, I think in the heat of the battle I forgot I was dealing with a beautiful lady. I will not make that mistake again." He makes a small flourish with his hand. "Next time, I will be on a dance floor, to Lady Mira's music." He assures her, pats her hand and sets to work practicing with the blade he had yet to sheave, lest this strange place leave him unable to fight once more.
thawizkid
Peddler
Peddler

Post by thawizkid »

Replying to Artanis, Adran said I will have to pay extra attention to all my dreams then, they might help us in the our travels…
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Dreams, Adran, are windows to the soul. Thats if you believe the writing of Andrella.. Not that she would say it in so little words, but that would be the point." Mira responds raising her head from her spellbook.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Having spent many hours tending wounds with herbs and comforting souls with her best bedside manner, lack of actual beds notwithstaning, Jerry has worked herself almost to a standstill. But it's mostly weariness of her own making having insisted on spending her spare moments encouraging and prompting for spell exchanges between the arcane casters. She reflects to herself, "Such is Mystra's guidance, that The Art is to be spread and multiplied amongst those of good heart. So it's 'good tiredness'." She had some words of sympathy for the mangled Pyros, "I'm so sorry, Pyros, right now it is far beyond my abilities to restore your little leg but I won't give up trying to help."

She goes round each of the mages and thanks them for their cooperation, adding as an afterthought, "...And now I really do need a new spellbook!" A quiet but vigorous nod to Sir Karl is all she can spare to confirm the tendency of the nasty dreams to have commonality across the group.

Looking round Jerry spies Merrick staring blankly into the chasm. She sits next to him and rests her head on his shoulder, but looking up to catch his eyes with hers. And some quiet time together Jerry excuses herself and stands, addressing the group. "Hmmm.. Excuse me, all of you. We're in better shape than we were but still far from all mended. I have pretty much used up my supplies of herbs and so would ask that if any of you know anything about herbs, or even are just good at finding things, keep a look out for certain herbs, please. We can discuss the details later. Oh! And is anyone good with wood? For Pyros. Yes, maybe we can make a wooden leg for him." She pauses, looks around, then continues, "I'm about to try another casting of the 'Nap' spell. That puts the recipient into a deep sleep for an hour but has the same effect as eight normal hours of good, solid sleep. If any of you are able to cast curing spells right now, or perhaps to pray for such and do so shortly, then it would be a good idea for you to do so and then join me in a 'Nap'. You'd be able to pray again for your spells after the 'Nap'. It's not a spell I like to abuse, but our plight here had become rather difficult. Umm I should stop talking now...Right." She tails off, colours, and seeks Merrick. She whispers, "Merrick, was that ok?"

======
Jerry's Nap can work on four recipients (including Jerry).
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Pyros who everyone would think should be down and out about losing an entire limb perks up and is quickly pulling small pranks.

After the majority of the resting is done, he will start doing hand stands, and practicing walking on his hands.

Once he gets the feel for it, he will upside down walk to Karl and tap her on the shoulder with his foot.

"Good sir. I believe I owe you a thanks! Do you wish anything to be cared for by you in my bounty?" He points to the pile of things he has been going through.

Most notably, his pet mice, who he doted over and fed. A mysterious looking fluid in a bottle. And a "quiet"(to him) re-enactment of the centipede battle, recreated with a head of one of them, and a belaying pin.

He will continue finding the best way to maneuver with the withered limb. Scooting like a dog with worms, or walking handstands, or hand walking with his legs in front of him.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Pyros' Pile of Pilfered(?) Pocket Provisions]

Magnifying Glass (2” diameter), piece of charcoal, map of Pyros' Hometown, 3' leather shoestring (Br), little white mouse, 2 marbles (one green/white one blue/purple), small beeswax candle, lady's handkerchief, brass bell (tiny), large knuckle bone the size of a sling stone steel fork (worn condition), 5' silk rope, 3' leather shoestring (Blk), tangled knot of colored string, scrap of blue silk 1" sq, deck of playing cards, small metal mirror (2x3”), 2 snake fangs (no poison), raven's feather (Lg), deck of tarot cards, rumpled writing quill, acorns (4x), manacles (hands only) w/o key in poor condition, seashells (2x), cup from the tower where he met Elsa, jewler's eye-glass (poorly made), 1 sling stone (Stripey red), empty inkpot w/o stopper, eagle feather (bent), tin whistle, 2"x5" pc of canvas, rolled up piece of paper (fine quality), ball of hard baked red clay, ball of red string (20'), map of Haven, plain salt shaker (empty), half-full inkpot w/stopper, grease pen, vial of perfume, piece of broken vase from Harmonic Hall, a cotton sock not quite his size, curly red wig, pair of suspenders (green canvas), lady's left slipper (blue, silk), Fish tail, empty clay vial, cheap costume jewelry, 3 links of iron chain (3" total), tiny 4oz hammer head, rusty spurs, black mouse, parafin candle (sm), 5 iron nails (1.5" long), fishing line 6' (strong waxed string), red grease pen, dog's back tooth, Centipede head the size of his finger, bar of lye soap, chunk of oak bark (2"x1"), 4" piece of brass wire, gaming darts (4: 2 red, 1 blue, 1 blk), fish-hooks (3x), 1/2 lb of venison jerky from Jackques pantry, 3 beads from a priest's rosary, 6-sided bone dice (2x), piece of cheap parchment, piece of flint rock, blue chalk (1 pc), flask of oil, dead worm, yo-yo with broken string, glass stopper, gold coin with a jester's hat carved on it, hermit crab shell, rusty spurs, pretty sling bullet, belaying pin, another piece of charcoal, tin signet ring (fox head), small gardening spade, map of area (Harmonia to Skald and a little more), cup (cracked, doesn’t match saucer), tiny lock with cut clasp), green sealing wax (1/2 lb), lead sling bullet, unidentified bottle w/funky liquid, whetstone.

Artanis watches the 'announcement', smirking a little towards the end. Well, since he still has the leg, i think a crutch might be the best thing for now. It would be easily made if we found a young forked tree, but until we leave this canyon, i doubt we'll find anything like that. A staff... or a hoopak could probably serve the purpose for now, however. As for this magical 'nap' I can do what healing I'm able to for now if no one objects. And perhaps Elsa could as well, being the more proficient of us. The halfling nods eagerly, Oh, of course! So... who should be the 4th?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry looks at the large area of stuff deposited by Pyros, "He doesn't look large enough..No, no, I'm not going to think about how he kept all this."

While Elsa prays for some curing spells Jerry will look over* the 'Pyros collection'. Afterwards she pauses again at the pieces of paper, checks that Pyros is ok with it, then examines them for writings.

======
*Actually run a Detect Magic over it in whatever seems the most sensible manner.
Last edited by Chris1234 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"There are things about Kender that never make sense. Oh." Mira kneels down, reaching for the map, "Do you mind if I hold onto this? And you found my Map of Haven! I was sure I lost it, thank you for keeping it safe." Resisting the urge to pat him on the head she slips the two maps into her pack.

(If he has anything else of hers she will ignore it, Mira believes in the 'If you havent used it lately, why do you need it?' Idea)

"Who else is most injured?" She glances at Karl and realises that he won't accept, "Pytor." She states with some certainly.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"I did what my Honour demands, and no I believe you should look after them." Karl decides as he observes the Kenders haul, at least there were no shards from a Dragon Orb.. "Perhaps I should hold onto this." He slips the Whetstone into his pouch (I'm assuming its his) And why don't you let Elsa hold onto the Vial, that reminds me." Handing the sack to the Pretty Cleric he grins. "I found these just before I arrived, they might come in useful. I did use one."