Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

Post by TristenC »

It's a door made of iron that is 20 feet high and 20 ft wide. No way I'd be able to open that even if I wanted to. I'll check the areas I can Reach, but I can't fly...

===
by the way, Ke'Sha's Air-walk has expired by now as well
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"OK. Try to check the door without touching it. I'm coming to help." After Jack has cleared the stairs, Ke'Sha quickly climbs down and joins Jack. "Look at that! Nice door... Hope it won't try to swallow us. Did you detect anything on the floor or the door?" Ke'Sha asks Jack while mentally using Gur's sight to detect magic in the room and himself walking carefully to verify no tingling sensation appears in the room.
======================================================================================
(OOC: Did 4h pass?
I mentioned it before, but we could prepare better for the dungeon. Having phantom armor on everyone, having more stoneskins around, more detect traps and wind walks, and "imbue undead with spell ability" active on all the undead, without taking the spell slots.
So, now, after the party members became to know each other better, we could teleport to camp, take few days to get ready and teleport back... or put our trust in god. or in "the lord of the dead" or in "Vytholus"
Anyway, now that I read the "imbue undead with spell ability" description, Ke'Sha would find an opportunity (when they waited long time for the scouts) to cast the two memorized spells on the two monster zombies. It lasts for 17 days or until 17 spells were cast in this matter.
)
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha stares at Jack waiting for his response and in the meanwhile let Gur fly around the room and door higher than he could reach himself checking for magic radiance.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Ooc]Yes, 4 hrs had passed since he first cast air walk. If he wants to suggest to other characters the spell selection for tomorrow it might be wise to do so as they are preparing for bed tonight, or early next morning. Phantom armor, however, has an unusual material component, and only 1 person in the group has the spell; and doesn't have enough slots alone to give everyone in the group the spell in 1 day anyway... what is more, trying to would completely spend all of their slots for that spell level... [/ooc]

I was just getting to that... these things take time. Jack says patiently as he continues his examination. Eventually he shakes his head. Nothing here that I can find. He steps back from the door, which seems to operate vy rising along an iron track. There is a wide bar at the bottom for a handle.

===
[Time is: 11:50 AM 3rd of Reaping]

Jack examines the floor and the door at ground level and finds no traps.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

(OOC: Does Ke'Sha detects any magic or senses any danger in the room?)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[He does not]
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"OK Jack. Everything seems fine. I can't detect magic or danger, but it doesn't mean there is no monster waiting on the other side. I could let 'rattle', my oldest skeleton, try to open the door, or you could try it yourself. I'll just climb to safety. Are you following?"
If Jack is following Ke'Sha will mentally command one of his skeletons to climb down and open the door.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Jack chuckles and is alreadybwalking back towards the ladder. He communicates telepathically so the restnof the group knows what is going on. You go ahead and let your skeleton rattle-trap open the door. I'll be up top with the others.
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid mentally chimes in: 'Letting the skeleton try the door is a wise idea'.
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"He has a name. And *he* is useful. Don't hurt his feelings." Ke'Sha climbs up to join the others. Then commands 'rattle' to climb down the ladder and try opening the door.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Under his breath Jag will mutter some other song lyrics.

"We're on a flight outta control
Yeah, kick up the dust 'til we self-destruct
And at the night, ready to roll
Time to kick down the gates and rattle them bones
'Cause we're back in the race to rattle them bones
Ooh yeah, that's right"
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Ke'Sha and Jack climb back out and 'Rattle' begins his descent. Ke'Sha concentrates and can see as if he were viewing from the same point in space as the skeleton. It approaches the massive door and begins to try to lift it via the bar. The truly massive door of solid iron must weigh thousands of pounds, but as soon as the skeleton begins to try to lift it, it begins to slide upwards smoothly on it's own. It rises to the height of the ceiling and then stops.

The space beyond is another 20x20 room that stands about 10 ft high from the ground-level of the skeleton, and drops straight down 30 feet to the floor. It is difficult to tell from the angle, but it appears there may be something on the ground below...
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha notices there is now signs of ladder or stairs. It smells of trap, or maybe it is a waste pit, so it just smells. He drops a rope down and commands 'Rattle' to hold it while Ke'Sha will continue lowering it down.

"OK. The door is open. Did you see how strong is Rattle? You should all remember it." Ke'Sha describes everything he saw through 'Rattle' eyes.
"If it makes it safely to the ground we might want to follow it, but I'm open to other suggestions." Ke'Sha grins to himself for improving his social skills while Gur mentally communicates, 'Ha! Open to suggestions? You are open to nothing! Sealed like the jars preserving animal internals in your laboratory! Thick headed like a watermelon! No, sealed like a wizard books with thousands of protection! Open to suggestions??!? Don't get me started with all the times you were open to my suggestions! Remember I suggested not to come here??? Or not to bother me? Or the time Bork asked you to taste the potion? '''Whoo, I can sense any danger out there! I'm so crafty!''' You almost died! You think you are so wise... You want me to..." Gur continues his chains of insults and curses reminding Ke'Sha of his former mistakes. After a minute Ke'Sha can still hear, 'And this is only AFTER we met! I bet you did twice the number of mistakes not listening to others BEFORE we met! You probably didn't even knew how to remove bats tongue...' and it goes on and on.
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

"Let him explore before a bit before we descend." Axid mentally adds. "There are enough bones in the other room I m sure you can construct something out of them if we should 'lose' Rattle."
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"I wonder what Rattle's occupation was before being a scout?" Jag muses out loud internally.