Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

Styrius
Peddler
Peddler
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

Post by Styrius »

Axid telepathically chimes in 'Step on a tile, your mother is defiled or some such thing. Perhaps opening the door triggers something or maybe there is special tile to touch. I'm not a thieves guild member so I can't offer much there.'
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Are you suggesting rhyming out loud? And defiled mother that's the first thing that pops up in your mind?" Ke'Sha shakes his head.

===================================================================
(OOC: Jack is a thief? Want to NPC him just for this scene?)
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid telepathically laughs. "It is on the list, I had considered bathing you in spirts of hart's horn which might freshen you up a bit. Are you still floating around like an elf or walking through the place?"
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Jack is certainly a rogue. What are the specifics of your request?]
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"I don't know what elves have you met, or what did you drink before meeting them, but the elves *I* know, are walking on the ground. Just more gracefully than dwarves. But hey, that's not a challenge right? Even Rror walks more gracefully than dwarves." Ke'Sha carefully avoids the red auras on the stairs and the floor. With Gur on his shoulder, he examines the floor around the walls with outmost care and approaches the door, scanning it as well.

==============================================================================================
(OOC: Will it be possible to describe to Jack where Ke'Sha sees the trap marks and it will help Jack disarm the trap, or at least to detect the nature of the trap? And also if the door is locked or trapped can he pick it and open it? If needed Ke'Sha can lift him so he won't touch the stairs or floor.)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[ooc] Sure[/ooc]

Jack descends, gauging the stairs carefully but at a faster pace now that they have been 'cleared' by the magical vision. Joining Ke'sha at the bottom he examines the steps, using a long pole to apply some pressure in small discrete areas. He goes over the area carefully for a few minutes and finally moves down the stairs to near the base floor. Again he stares at the area for a long moment, gently tapping in a few places before returning.

Well... it looks like the room past the stairs has some kind of trigger on the floor. I can't get closer to the mechanism to see what that trigger is without being in danger of tripping it. Basically once it is triggered the floor in the new room will open, probably the whole floor. And then the stairs will tilt down to make a slide to send anyone unfortunate enough to be on them into the pit as well...
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"That sounds like a playground from my youth."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"You are most welcome to relive your youth... Hmm.. Don't worry, you will still accompany us if something happens..." Ke'Sha says eagerly and waits for Jag to come and trigger the trap. When he understands that won't happen he addresses Jack and asks in a very disappointed voice, "So if I avoid stepping on the floor, it should be safe to your understanding?"
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Telepathically: "Jack, it sounds like you might be describing a pit of some kind perhaps? I have some rope in my pack we could tie to the stairs if you think that is needed."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Jack nods, Yes, the trigger seems to be only on the floor as far as I can tell.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Do you think you can disarm the trap?" Ke'Sha asks Jack. "While you consider it, I'll go to check the door. If you need, I'll be able to help or carry you above the floor. But it might be somewhat clumsy. And you will have to trust me." Ke'Sha flashes his perfect teeth again in a wide grin as if the most hilarious joke was told.
While leaving Jack to ponder, Ke'Sha avoids stepping on the floor and Air walks to the door, with Gur still curled up on his shoulder. He carefully scans the door.
Ke'Sha also informs the other telepathically of the current findings.

============================================================================
(OOC: Please feel free to step in and suggest stuff. Personally I rather have full participation than safe crawling so if this door leads to another room, I suggest we rejoin forces.)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Jack nods and moves forward, fiddling with the space at the top of the stair. See, the tread and the riser, they're cut to look like one piece from above, but once you lean over it, you can tell the steps are actually two pieces each, which is what allows them to fold down... He takes out a few metal climbing spikes and gently taps them into the area between. Meticulously he moves down the stairs, securing several of the steps in this same manner. So by putting wedges between, i can keep them from folding up if it is triggered. The trigger itself is probably on the floor somewhere, but i'll have to look for that when i get closer. If you want to air walk over and look at the door go ahead, but I'm not a big fan of being carried... he says
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"When did you last try it? At my first attempt of raising up skeletons, I created a bunch that carried me on rickshaw all around. It was quiet interesting sensation... But suit yourself." Ke'Sha airwalks to the door to examine it from close.
Gur mentally informs Ke'Sha, "If you dare ever ask me to carry you, it's the end of our relationship!"
"I CARRY YOU ALL THE TIME" Ke'Sha retaliates angrily.
"Well... It's seems you are at equal place with your skeletal bunch then." Gur becomes visible only to grin triumphantly at Ke'Sha who scowls back, struggling to find words to mock the evil Quasit. After a moment he growls quietly, "Touché..."
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Hearing the conversation and frustration with Ke$ha, Axid smiled.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Ke'sha air-walks through the room, without touching the floor, bickering with his long-time impish companion. Once he reaches the door he inspects it, though he has no training in what to look for with respect to traps or the like. Still, he scrutinizes it.

=====
Bish, let me get a Wis or Intelligence roll at -8
so for wis (currently 22 -8) you would need to roll a 14 or lower