Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

BishGada
Count
Count
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

Post by BishGada »

"Can you dispel it? Or your old ball and chain? Maybe we can dig around it?"
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Binky shrugs. Probabaly. You should ask since you all have that mental mumbo jumbo.

Landro's voice appears in the minds of the others. The door has closed now, and seems to have some kind of magical force holding it shut. Anyone able to deal with that?
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"I have one casting of "Knock" ready. I can be right down."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Jag responds mentally and descends as the others keep watch above. He pauses on the ladder just as the door comes into view. The incantation is short, followed by the hand-motion of knocking on a door. A light rapping can be heard on the door itself as if one had made physical contact. He quickly turns and ascends the ladder once again.
BishGada
Count
Count

Post by BishGada »

"Where are you going? Wouldn't you want to see if you succeed??" Ke'Sha asks both surprised and irritated by the mage behavior. "OK, Landro, let's see it it worked. But be careful it won't shut down on you." Ke'Sha instructs as he stands as far from the door as possible. "Maybe you want to tie a rope around you so I can pull you if something happens?" Ke'Sha suggests.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Not really no. My preservation is stronger than my curiosity."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

I simply won't stand st the edge beneath the door. Landro grins, chuckling at Ke'Sha and Jag's back-and-forth. The Firbolg grips the handle and begins to lift, the door slides neatly up the track, even beginning to tug the giant upward as if powered by some sort of Levitation magic. Once the door is open, Landro takes a step back but peers into the new space. Looks like a big pit... there is a body lying down there.
BishGada
Count
Count

Post by BishGada »

"It didn't work. Maybe you should take your preservation back to camp and practice a bit more with your spells." Ke'Sha mentally lies to Jag. "Be careful! Something made the door shut on rattle. Is there a way to stick it up? Maybe you can tie rope on some joint or stick a blade in the track or something..." Ke'Sha warns.
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

"Some pitons or climbing spikes to put in the wall to stop the door might be useful." Axid mentally interjects to the group. He continues to keep an eye on the hatches. Not wanting another encounter with more foul, stank-ass creatures than he has already had up to this point.
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
BishGada
Count
Count

Post by BishGada »

"Good idea. Do you have spikes? Maybe even daggers will suffice."
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

"Maybe if I stare daggers at you that might suffice, alas I have no climbing spikes on my person. Perhaps one of our other companions might have such gear on or about them."
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Pitons would be best. Jack chimes in. You'd need to hammer them in anyway, let me come down and take a look...

Before he has a chance to reach the others the shrill groaning of metal can be heard from the door as it begins to tip away from the wall! Ke'sha ducks down, alreasy standing in the only space in the room possible to avoid the door, just as it swings past! Landro, with no chance to avoid it, turns and braces himself just as it collides! The giant-kin miraculously manages to get into position just in time! Even so he is pushed back by the momentum, his heels sliding to the edge of the pit but not over! The huge warrior chuckles. Well that was a cute little surprise. Drop a couple of those iron rods down so we can prop this open.

===
Dex to catch, Str to hold door. (Min 19 str required)

Landro Dex, Str [1d20]=5, [1d20]=7, both pass
Landro catches the door!!!
Attachments
Screenshot_20240708_123919_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
BishGada
Count
Count

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha holds himself fast with the gust of wind the door creates. "So this is how Rattle had passed away. May he rest in peace, until I get down and raise him again. And good work Landro."
Kesha steps close to Landro and looks down the pit. 'Gur, could you please sweep down and check the area for magic?' Ke'Sha mentally speaks with his Quasit. "Jack, let Gur check the room. Before Rattle perished I could see something on the ground. Then we can use a rope to help you climb down and check for traps, but keep of rattle bones, and anything down there. I may need it to help our quest."

===========================================================================
(OOC: What's the time of the day? Nice door! I should fix one like that in my home.)
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Jag chuckles. "Rest in Pieces."
BishGada
Count
Count

Post by BishGada »

:)